Romance is in the air on Glee.
When TVLine visited the show’s set on Wednesday, McKinley High and Rachel and Kurt’s New York City loft were decked out with Valentine’s Day balloons and decorations. Read on to find out what the cast and executive producer Dante Di Loreto had to say about the big episode, as well as graduation part deux, who’s getting back together, who’s staying broken up and more.
HERE COMES THE BRIDE | Referring to the whiteboard in the choir room with W-word written on it, Di Loreto confirmed, “There is a wedding in the air. What is exciting about this show is there are certain things about that are undeniable. There are certain things that you could sit home and think, I really want this to happen.” While all signs point to Will and Emma being the couple heading down the aisle, the EP noted, “There are some things that are going to shock the heck out of you.”
KLAINE CLEARS THE AIR | While Darren Criss believes “it’s good to have some troubled water,” he’s hoping for a Blaine and Kurt reconcilation… eventually. “Of course I want to see them together in the end,” he said. Following the Q&A, the actor revealed that the former lovebirds, who got some closure during the Christmas outing, will “suss out” their relationship status. “The coming episodes address that uncertainty,” he added. “They’re trying to define what they are.” In the meantime, Kurt will get a new love interest in the form of Oliver Kieran-Jones as the head of NYADA’s glee club, Adam’s Apples. “I don’t know if Blaine necessarily knows about [him],” said Criss, who says Blaine “strikes [up] a new relationship, not a romantic relationship – or maybe it is – with somebody who’s already been around, who is now more involved in Blaine’s life. They’ve kind of taken a new step in their relationship.”
BRITTANA NO MORE | Prepare yourself, Brittany/Santana lovers, because it doesn’t sound like the twosome will rekindle their romance anytime soon. “They’re friends, but they won’t get back together,” said Heather Morris. While the Cheerios were once in love and as close as can be, the actress thinks “it’s good that [Santana] moved on and gave me room to figure it out because I don’t think that they were great for each other. They’re best friends, but I think Sam gives her more room to just be herself. That’s a lot of fun. Santana was so serious for her that she really just couldn’t be weird.”
HERE TO STAY | Rachel’s NYC love interest, Brody, does not appear to be going anywhere. “We hope to keep [his portrayer Dean Geyer] around [on the show] for a while,” said Di Loreto. “We think he’s incredibly sexy. He sings and dances, as well. It’s a really interesting storyline. The show has blossomed creatively this year, being able to travel back and forth between New York and Lima. And we love having him here.” But perhaps not all hope is lost for Finchel lovers. After all, Di Loreto teased that “romance is going to play a part in [Finn’s] future.”
GRADUATION DAY: THE SEQUEL | As the end of Season 4 nears, so does the end of high school for seniors Tina, Artie, Brittany and Blaine. So where will they end up? “I wouldn’t be surprised if another cast member or a few other cast members find them[selves] in New York [next season],” said Di Loreto. “That story has yet to reveal itself, but it seems [like] one of those natural conclusions. They’re all going to different places, just like we all do in high school, and hopefully those are stories that we can blossom.” Morris has her own unexpected idea for where she’d like to see her alterego to end up: “I want her to go to jail,” she shared.. “I think it’d be the best story ever!”
CONFIRMED MAIN CAST
- Lea Michele as Rachel Berry
- Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel
- Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson
- Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson
- Heather Morris as Brittany Pierce
- Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans
- Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez
- Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina Cohen-Chang
- Kevin McHale as Artie Abrams
- Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester
- Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury
- Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester
- Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman
- Dean Geyer as Brody Weston
CONFIRMED RECURRING CAST/GUEST STARS
- Dianna Agron as Quinn Fabray (filming a movie in France; likely not appearing for at least the first couple episodes)
- Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones
- Mark Salling as Noah Puckerman
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang
- Dot-Marie Jones as Shannon Beiste
- Samuel Larson as Joe Hart
- NeNe Leakes as Roz Washington
- Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta
- Alex Newell as Wade “Unique” Adams
- Lauren Potter as Becky Jackson
- Josh Sussman as Jacob Ben Israel
- Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins
- Kate Hudson as Cassandra July
- Sarah Jessica Parker as [TBA]
- Melissa Benoist as Marley
- Becca Tobin as Kitty
- TBA: Winner of The Glee Project season 2
- Ashley Fink as Lauren Zizes
- Damian McGinty as Rory Flanagan
- Production team: Allison Adler (co-executive producer/writer) and Marti Noxon (consulting producer/writer)
- Max Adler as David Karofsky
- Kristin Chenoweth as April Rhodes
- Jonathan Groff as Jesse St. James
- Idina Menzel as Shelby Corcoran
- Mike O’Malley as Burt Hummel
- Lindsay Pearce as Harmony
- Romy Rosemont as Carole Hudson-Hummel
- Grant Gustin as Sebastian Smythe
- Jessica Sanchez as [TBA] - in talks with producers for a multi-episode arc
- Cheryl Cole as [TBA] - said to be making a cameo
- Adam Levine as [TBA] - in discussion with Ryan Murphy for a guest spot this season
- Matt Bomer as Cooper Anderson - would return if asked
- Gloria Estefan as Maribel Lopez - would return if asked
- Kurt will be in Lima when s4 starts
- As explanation for the lack of Klaine kisses this season, Brad Falchuk says that “Kurt hates PDA.”
On Finn and Rachel:
- Finn is the “big question mark” at the beginning of s4. He definitely starts off in the army. He is trying to deal with Rachel being gone.
- Rachel will be in contact with McKinley, “almost to a funny point”. Finn and Rachel will “always be involved with one another, whether or not they’re dating”, according to Lea.
- “Rachel won’t be alone for long - she’ll be surrounded by familiar faces soon,” Lea says.
- When asked about whether anything could happen between Rachel and Santana or Quinn - “never say never”, says Lea.
She “might” be in New York.EDIT: Santana definitely starts the season at the University of Louisville on her cheerleading scholarship. (source)
- We’ll see Mercedes in LA or making her way there. “How it sort of happens for her is interesting.”
- Jenna thinks that she and Mike will stay together.
- Jenna hopes to see more of her race in her storyline.
On the 4th season, in general:
- Another Britney Spears episode coming (ep. 2), with lots of Heather in it.
- The time split between New York/McKinley will be somewhat similar to the McKinley/Dalton time split in season 2.
- Season 4 will pick up at the beginning of the school year at NYADA and McKinley.
- New Directions will be underdogs again. The room is half empty and they’re desperately trying to get 12 members for competition.
In a new interview with TV Guide, [Lea Michele] teased that her alter ego may be about to get a bit of a drastic makeover at the hands of Sarah Jessica Parker’s character, who will appear in a number of episodes in the fourth run. Chris Colfer also opened up about the new storyline and admitted that Rachel is crying out for a new look now that she is in the big city.
Lea agreed and went [on] to confirm that Berry will struggle with some of the non singing elements of her studies at NYADA. In particular, Rachel will find dance classes difficult and Michele revealed:
“Dance is not Rachel’s strong point, but as a freshman it’s a requirement class she has to take. It will put Rachel in a very vulnerable place, stuck with a teacher [played by Kate Hudson] who doesn’t make it easy for her.”
Colfer revealed that he will be working closely with Sex And The City star Parker, as his character Kurt “will find himself in an establishment where Sarah Jessica Parker is his manager of sorts, but not in a performance sense.”
Meanwhile, Finn will be heading in a whole new direction to his two crooning pals and it seems he will most likely be accepting a place in army bootcamp in season four.
Cory Monteith teased:
“Finn would have to be in very good shape and get incredibly fit, meaning I would have to be incredibly fit.”
“I’m doing extra stuff this summer – CrossFit and fewer Snickers bars.”